One defining characteristic of every generation is their role in the global marketplace. As time moves on and technology evolves, retailers are constantly searching for new ways to connect with consumers of all ages.
However, tried and true marketing methods of the past no longer resonate with the next generation of potential customers. Understanding the market you’re targeting is the first step towards earning their business.
According to marketing and media expert Sarah Sladek, members of Generation Y (people born in the ‘80s and ‘90s) are defined by the following characteristics:
– They hate to be sold anything
– They don’t seek to acquire stuff and instead focus on the experience
– They can self-organize friends for grassroots activism
– They trust their peers first and parents second
– They actively research prices and read reviews before making purchases
– They value customization
– They expect exceptional service
In other words, the game has changed when it comes to marketing. Tomorrow’s consumers demand a new level of customer service and personal attention that wasn’t necessary a generation ago.
Social media marketing. This demographic responds to value-driven offers and quick, visual messages – they don’t have the patience to read lengthy email messages or long sales pitches. Short and sweet is the key.
Online ads. They are searching online for everything. Google is their way of life and online research is an important aspect of their purchasing decisions.
A mobile version of your website. By now, every website should feature a version that is compatible with mobile phones and tablets. Having an interactive map prominently featured at the top of the site along with important information such as a phone number and store hours is crucial.
Mobile applications. With the popularity of mobile phones and the ease of use that mobile apps provide, they are essential in today’s marketplace. Floralapp is the very best tool available in our industry to attract and engage Generation Y.
Why an app?
With so many online-only floral retailers and deceptive order gatherers, our industry is a mystery to younger consumers who don’t always know the differences in quality and service that local flower shops can provide. We can no longer afford to sit back and let consumers find us; we have to reach them on their level and provide them with a tool to make their shopping experience quick and hassle-free.
Floralapp offers Generation Y consumers exactly what they are looking for in today’s marketplace. Consider these attributes:
- Speed – With Floralapp, consumers never have to remember a password again. The entire ordering process is simplified through the app using stored payment information and contacts that are already in the phone.
- Convenience – By simply opening Floralapp, customers have an entire full-service flower shop at their fingertips. There is no need to worry about store hours or finding a reputable florist in an unfamiliar area. They can shop with confidence knowing that they are shopping with you. They can even sign in through Facebook to simplify the process even further.
- Value – By offering 10% off of every order through Floralapp, customers know they are getting the best deals you have to offer – anytime, anywhere!
Our industry can no longer afford to ignore advancements in technology and social media because tomorrow’s customers are already there. The time is now to start focusing marketing efforts on the next generation of customers. Give them what they want, treat them right and speak their language, and you’ll be well on your way to earning their business.